If you’re looking for a hearty and satisfying meal that’s quick and easy to make, then you have to try this Air Fryer Toad in the Hole recipe. With a crispy and golden exterior and a soft and fluffy interior, this dish is the perfect comfort food for any day of the week. Plus, the addition of a rich and savory onion gravy takes this classic dish to the next level.
Air Fryer Toad In The Hole Recipe
Growing up in the UK, Toad in the Hole was always a favorite comfort food of mine. It was a dish my mother would make on a chilly autumn evening, and it always warmed me up from the inside out. When I moved away from home and started cooking for myself, I found myself making this dish more and more often.
Recently, I discovered the joys of cooking with an air fryer, and I thought it would be interesting to try making Toad in the Hole in it. I was thrilled with the results. The sausages came out perfectly cooked, and the batter was light and crispy. Plus, using the air fryer saved me a lot of time and effort.
I like to serve this dish with a side of onion gravy. The sweet and savory flavor of the onions pairs perfectly with the rich flavor of the sausages. It’s a hearty and satisfying meal that always brings back memories of home.
Overall, this Air Fryer Toad In The Hole recipe is a delicious and easy way to enjoy a classic British dish. Whether you’re a fan of traditional Toad in the Hole or you’re looking to try something new, this recipe is sure to please.
Ingredients to make Air Fryer Toad In The Hole
This recipe calls for a few simple ingredients that you likely already have on hand. For the Yorkshire pudding batter, you’ll need flour, eggs, and milk. For the onion gravy, you’ll need butter, a red onion, flour, beef stock, and Worcestershire sauce. And for the toad in the hole itself, you’ll need pork sausages and a little bit of vegetable baking fat or oil.
How to make Air Fryer Toad In The Hole
To start, you’ll need to make the Yorkshire pudding batter. Simply mix together the flour, eggs, and milk until you have a smooth batter. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. For an even smoother batter, you can use an immersion blender to blitz all the ingredients together in a tall measuring jug.
While the batter is resting, you can make the onion gravy. Melt butter in a saucepan and cook sliced onions with a pinch of salt and sugar until they have softened. Sprinkle flour over the onions and gradually stir in the beef stock and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer until the gravy has thickened, then adjust the seasoning to taste.
Next, cook the sausages in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 350°F (180°C) until they are cooked through and golden. Slice the sausages into 3-4 pieces.
Now it’s time to assemble the toad in the hole. Preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes at 400°F (200°C) and add a little bit of vegetable baking fat or oil to the cake tins. Place the sausages in the tins and pour the batter over them to come halfway up the pans. Air fry for 12-15 minutes, or until the batter is golden and crisp at the edges.
Serve the toad in the hole hot out of the air fryer with a generous spoonful of onion gravy. This dish is perfect for a cozy family dinner or as a hearty brunch on the weekends. You can also serve it with a side salad or roasted vegetables for a well-rounded meal.
Air Fryer Toad In The Hole
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted
- 480 ml (2 cups) beef stock use a beef stock cube
- pinch salt
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- pinch sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 red onion sliced thinly
Toad In the Hole
- 3 large eggs
- 6 tbsp vegetable baking fat or vegetable oil, as needed
- 8 pork sausages
- ½ cups 130 g flour plain all-purpose
- 1 cup 240 ml milk semi-skimmed
Make the Yorkshire Pudding Batter
- Add the flour to a mixing bowl. Crack the eggs into the bowl, add a splash of the milk and use a balloon whisk to whisk together.
- Start mixing in the middle of the bowl, slowly incorporating the flour into the eggs and milk.
- Gradually add the remaining milk and mix until you have a smooth batter. Rest the batter for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Note: If you have an immersion blender you can add all the ingredients into a tall measuring jug and simply blitz until the batter is smooth.
Make the gravy
- Add butter to a saucepan and stir in the onion once it starts foaming. Add a pinch of salt and sugar and cook, stirring, over low heat for about 10 minutes or until the onions have softened.
- Sprinkle with the flour and gradually stir in the hot beef stock. Add the Worcestershire sauce and simmer for a few minutes until the gravy has thickened. Have a taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Cook the sausages
- Preheat the air fryer for 5 minutes. Add the sausages into a silicone liner (or directly into the air fryer) and cook for 10 minutes at 350°F (180°C). Slice the sausages into 3-4 pieces.
Make the Toad in the Hole
- Place the cake tins in the air fryer and add a little vegetable oil or solid baking fat such as Trex. Preheat for 3 minutes at 400°F (200°C).
- Add the sausages into the cake tins and pour the batter over them to come halfway up the cake pans.
- Air Fry for 12-15 minutes, or until the batter is golden and crisp at the edges.
- Make sure to preheat the air fryer before cooking the sausages and toad in the hole to ensure even cooking.
- If you don't have cake tins, you can use small oven-safe ramekins or muffin tins instead.
- For a lighter version of this dish, you can use chicken sausages or turkey sausages instead of pork sausages.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days and reheated in the air fryer or oven.
Air Fryer Toad in the Hole is a delicious and comforting dish that is perfect for any meal. The combination of savory sausages and crispy Yorkshire pudding, served with a rich and flavorful onion gravy, is sure to satisfy your taste buds. And with the convenience of the air fryer, this classic British dish can be made easily and quickly, without the need for an oven. So, whether you’re looking for a hearty breakfast, a comforting dinner, or something in between, give this recipe a try and enjoy the deliciousness of Toad in the Hole in a whole new way!