Are you looking for a comforting and warming meal that is perfect for chilly nights? Look no further than this delicious slow cooker beef stew with dumplings recipe! With tender pieces of beef, hearty vegetables, and soft dumplings in a rich gravy, this dish will warm your soul and fill your stomach. Plus, it’s easy to make and perfect for meal prep.
Beef Stew With Dumplings
This beef stew with dumplings recipe is a family favorite that has been passed down for generations. It’s the kind of dish that warms you up from the inside out and makes you feel at home. I remember my grandmother making this recipe for us when we would visit her during the colder months.
The aroma of the stew cooking would fill her small kitchen and make our mouths water. We would sit around her kitchen table, listening to her stories and waiting for the stew to finish cooking. When it was finally ready, she would serve it with freshly baked dumplings and steamed broccoli.
The combination of tender beef, soft dumplings, and rich gravy was always a comforting and satisfying meal. Now, I make this recipe for my family, and it has become a tradition in our household. It’s the kind of dish that brings us together and reminds us of the love and warmth of family.
Beef Stew With Dumplings Recipe
- Small packs of diced beef
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 500ml beef stock
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 pack of stew mix
- Gravy granules
For the dumplings:
- 4 oz self-raising flour
- 3 oz suet
- Cold water
- Broccoli, boiled
- In a large slow cooker, combine the diced beef, sliced carrots, diced onion, beef stock, vegetable stock, stew mix, and enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Cook the stew on high for 5-6 hours or until the beef is tender. Then, switch the slow cooker to warm or low for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, turn the slow cooker back to high and let the stew cook for an additional hour.
- Once the stew is cooked, add gravy granules to thicken the gravy to your desired consistency. Stir well to combine.
- To make the dumplings, mix together the self-raising flour and suet in a bowl. Gradually add enough cold water to form a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Preheat your oven to 170°C. Place the dumplings on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- To finish the dumplings, transfer them to the slow cooker and cook for the last few minutes to absorb the gravy.
- Serve the beef stew with dumplings hot with boiled broccoli on the side.
- If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can also make this recipe on the stovetop. Simply simmer the stew in a covered pot on low heat for 3-4 hours until the beef is tender.
- For a thicker stew, you can also add some cornstarch slurry to the gravy instead of gravy granules.
- This recipe can be made in advance and stored in the fridge or freezer for meal prep. Simply reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop when ready to serve.
Beef stew with dumplings is a classic and hearty meal that is perfect for chilly nights. This recipe is easy to make, requires minimal effort, and is perfect for meal prep. With tender pieces of beef, sliced carrots, diced onion, and soft dumplings in a rich gravy, this dish is sure to warm your soul and fill your stomach. By following the steps outlined above, you can create a delicious and comforting meal that is perfect for sharing with family and friends. So, gather around the table and enjoy the warmth and comfort of this timeless recipe.