Big Mama’s Egg Pie Requiring only standard pantry ingredients, this pie comes together like magic. Milk, butter, sugar, and eggs make up the base of the custard, which is then lightly flavored with vanilla and nutmeg (freshly ground, if possible).
Filing the pie crust before baking helps it maintain its shape in the oven. Custard pies can easily overcook, so our test kitchen recommends setting the alarm 5-10 minutes before the desired baking time to check for the custard. Slice and serve it with a little whipped cream and bourbon. A bite of Big Mama’s pie feels right at home.
Big Mama's Egg Pie
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- ½ tbsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup cold water, plus more if needed
- 1½ cup tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ tbsp ground nutmeg, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Prepare the crust: Whisk the flour, sugar, and salt together in a mixing bowl. Add butter and Cut the butter into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter until crumbs of different sizes form.Slowly add the water, mixing with your hands until a dough forms, then add more water if needed until the dough comes together (there may still be some dry flour in the bowl). Form the dough into a ball.Wrap tightly with plastic wrap; Refrigerate until chilled, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Prepare the Filling: Cook the milk and butter in a saucepan over medium-low, undisturbed, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Whisk eggs, sugar, flour, vanilla, and nutmeg in a medium bowl. Whisk in the cooled milk mixture. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll out the cooled dough. Place on a lightly floured work surface. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to ¼-inch thickness. Transfer to an ungreased, freezer-safe 9-inch pie plate. Press the dough into the bottom and up sides of the dish. Crimp edges. Freeze the crust for 10 minutes.
- Remove the crust from the freezer—line it with parchment paper. Add pie weights—Bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove the crust from the oven. Remove the weights and parchment. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the crust. Bake at 325°F until the surface of the pie is lightly browned and the center jiggles slightly 35 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack; Cool completely, about 1 hour. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg, and serve.