Ultimate comfort food just got easier. Many of us have fond memories of the boxed version of this family classic that appeared weekly on your parents’ dinner table, but this recipe is all grown up—homemade and full of flavor, and no preservatives like the store-bought stuff.
Even better, the seasoning is a little milder than you might remember, making it perfect for young kids and adults alike. You can thank your trusty Instant Pot for this one dish’s quick and straightforward cooking time—just 30 minutes, to be exact.
Don’t forget to brown the meat and grill the onions before completing the final steps. It’s crucial to building that classic flavor. Pair it with a side salad, and you’ll have a flavor-packed dinner without much effort in no time.
Instant Pot Chili Mac
- 1 (15) oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5) oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ tbsp ground cumin
- 10 oz uncooked elbow macaroni (about 2 cups)
- 8 oz Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups), plus more for serving
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pound 93/7 lean ground beef
- ¼ medium-size (about 9 oz.) yellow onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- Select the SAUTÉ setting on a programmable pressure multicooker (such as Instant Pot). (Times, instructions, and settings may vary by cooker brand or model.) Select a high heat setting, add oil to the cooker, and allow it to heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the beef and cook, frequently stirring, for about 5 minutes, until browned. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring for about 4 minutes, until the onion softens. Add the broth, tomatoes, beans, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Add noodles, pressing to ensure noodles are submerged; Don't move. Click Cancel.
- Cover the cooker with a lid and lock it in place. Turn the steam release knob to the sealing position. Select the manual/pressure cooker setting. Select high pressure for 4 minutes. (It will take 10 to 12 minutes for the pressure cooker to reach pressure before cooking begins.)
- When cooking is finished, carefully turn the steam release knob to the venting position, letting steam escape (float valve goes down). (This will take 5 to 10 minutes.) Remove the lid from the cooker. Add the cheese and gently stir the pasta mixture until the cheese melts about 1 minute. It will be served with extra cheese.