If you’re looking for a satisfying and easy-to-make meal, you can’t go wrong with slow cooker meatball subs. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want to enjoy a delicious meal without spending too much time in the kitchen.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Meatballs (made from a combination of Italian sausage and lean ground beef)
- Parmesan cheese
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Marinara sauce
- Buns or rolls
- Shredded mozzarella cheese
How To make Slow Cooker Meatball Subs
To start, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add the Italian sausage and ground beef to a large bowl along with the breadcrumb mixture and egg mixture. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together, being careful not to overmix the meat. Divide and shape the meat into 24 meatballs and place them in the slow cooker with the marinara sauce.
Cook the meatballs on high for three hours or low for six hours. After cooking, use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the meatballs has reached 165°F. Stir the meatballs and sauce together to remix the sauce, then preheat your oven to 350°F. Place the buns on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, add three meatballs to each bun, spoon some extra sauce over each one, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake the subs in the oven for about five minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the buns are toasty.
Slow Cooker Meatball Subs Recipe
Here is the recipe for slow cooker meatball subs,
|15 mins||3 hrs 5 mins||3 hrs 20 mins||08|
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 lb. lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
- 1 24oz. jar marinara
- 8 buns or rolls
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Lightly whisk two large eggs in a small bowl. In a separate small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Add the Italian sausage and ground beef to a large bowl with the whisked egg, breadcrumb mixture, and milk Use your hands to mix the ingredients together. Avoid overmixing the meat.
- Divide and shape the meat into 24 meatballs, about 3 Tbps each. The easiest way to do this is to first divide the meat mixture into four equal portions, then divide each of those in half to make eight equal portions. Finally, divide each of the 8 portions of meat into thirds and shape them into balls to make 24 meatballs.
- Place half of the meatballs in the bottom of a slow cooker in a single layer and cover with half of the marinara sauce.
- Add the rest of the meatballs then top with the remaining sauce.
- Cook the meatballs on high for three hours or low for six hours.
- After cooking, use a meat thermometer to make sure the internal temperature of the meatballs has reached 165°F. Give the meatballs and sauce a good stir to remix the sauce (there will be some fat pooling on the surface).
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the buns on a baking sheet or in a baking dish, then pile three meatballs into each bun. Spoon some of the extra sauce over each one. Top each sub with a little shredded cheese.
- Bake the meatball subs in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the edges of the buns are toasty. Enjoy hot!
This recipe is versatile, too. You can swap out the meatballs for turkey or veggie meatballs to make the dish healthier, and you can adjust the seasoning to suit your tastes. The slow cooker also makes it easy to prepare in advance, so you can have a delicious meal waiting for you when you get home from work.
Here is the nutrition information for this recipe,
|Serving Size||1 sub|
Slow cooker meatball subs are a delicious and easy-to-make meal that will satisfy your cravings. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or lazy weekends when you want to enjoy a delicious meal without spending too much time in the kitchen. Give it a try and enjoy!