This sourdough bread recipe is perfect for housewives who love the process of baking bread from scratch. With a little bit of patience and a few simple ingredients, you can create a delicious loaf of homemade sourdough bread using the Ninja Foodi.
How To Make Sourdough Bread in the Ninja Foodi
The recipe starts by feeding your sourdough starter a few hours before you begin. This ensures that the starter is active and ready to be used in the bread dough. Once the starter is bubbly and frothy, you combine it with sea salt, filtered water, and strong white bread flour. Mixing these ingredients together forms a rough and lumpy dough that will soon transform into a beautiful loaf.
Throughout the next few hours, you fold and turn the dough multiple times, allowing it to develop its elasticity and structure. This process gives the bread a wonderful texture and helps it rise properly. After a series of folding actions, the dough becomes smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky.
Once the dough reaches the desired consistency, it is placed in a banetton basket or bowl dusted with rice flour. The dough is shaped into a round ball and left to prove overnight in a cool place. The slow overnight fermentation develops the flavor and texture of the bread, giving it that distinct sourdough taste.
In the morning, the risen dough is gently removed from the basket and shaped into a round loaf. It is then placed in the air-frying basket of the Ninja Foodi, which has been lined with baking or greaseproof paper. Before baking, the top of the dough is scored to allow for proper expansion during baking.
To create a perfect crust, hot water is poured into the base unit of the Ninja Foodi to create steam. The basket with the dough is placed inside, and the Ninja Foodi is set to steam bread at 180°C for 25 minutes. This cooking process results in a crusty, golden-brown bread with a soft and fluffy interior.
If you prefer a crustier base, you can bake the bread for an additional 5 minutes on a higher temperature setting. Once the bread is cooked, it is removed from the Ninja Foodi and allowed to cool on a wire rack before slicing.
This recipe can also be adapted for traditional non-sourdough bread if desired. Additionally, the Ninja Foodi offers a prove setting, which can be used to facilitate the bread’s rising process at a controlled temperature.
Sourdough Bread in the Ninja Foodi Recipe
Create a delectable loaf of homemade sourdough bread in the Ninja Foodi with this easy-to-follow recipe. With its crusty exterior and soft, flavorful interior, it’s the perfect treat for housewives who enjoy the art of bread baking.
|Yield||Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time|
|1 Loaf||18 hours 30 minutes||25 minutes||18 hours 55 minutes|
- 60g recently fed sourdough starter
- 5g teaspoon sea salt
- 320ml tepid filtered water (or boiled water)
- 500g strong white bread flour
- Rice flour (for dusting)
- 2 to 3 hours before you want to start your sourdough bread, take the starter out of the fridge and feed it with 40g filtered water and 40g strong white bread flour. Mix well, cover with cling film (or a shower cap) and set to one side to start working. After 2 to 3 hours the starter should be frothy and light with lots of bubbles and it may be making a noise, as in singing! It’s now ready to use. Put the covered starter back in the fridge until it is needed next time you want to bake.
- Place a bowl onto some digital scales and set the tare to zero. Add 60g of sourdough starter and set the tare to zero again; then add the salt and water, again, I find it easier to set the tare to zero before adding the flour. Take the bowl off the scales and mix well, it will look rough and lumpy, but never fear it will soon start to look like bread dough! Cover the dough with cling film/shower cap and set to one side.
- After an hour, uncover it and with your hands, bring the dough from the outside, and fold it into the middle. Do this for about 15 to 20 times – I find it is easier if I rotate the bowl at the same time. Cover it and set to one side.
- Do the folding and turning action two or three more times over the next few hours, by this time the dough will be smooth, elastic and sticky. I start this at about 3pm to 4pm and the dough is ready at about 8pm to 9pm.
- Once the dough is smooth and elastic (see above) and it will have risen by now too, take a 22cm (9″) to 24cm (10″) banetton basket OR bowl and dust it with rice flour. Do one more set of folding actions with the dough and then place the ball of dough into the floured banneton basket or bowl.
- Easing the dough up around the sides, sprinkle some more flour around it and then sprinkle some over the top of of the dough. Cover with cling film/shower cap and set to one side in a cool place to prove overnight. (I use my pantry which is about 14 degrees C)
- In the morning, the dough will have risen overnight and you will have a large, round ball of smooth dough that’s ready to bake.
- Tip the dough out onto a flour dusted board, and gently shape it into a round. Line the air-frying basket from the Ninja Foodi with baking or greaseproof paper, and ease the dough in to the lined basket. Score the top with a lame or a razor blade.
- Pour 250mls of hot water into the Base Unit. Place the basket into the Ninja Foodi and close the lid. Select STEAM BREAD by moving the slider to the MIDDLE position, and set the cooking time for 25 minutes at 180C.
- When the cooking time is up, the bread should be crusty and brown – but the base may be less coloured than the top. If you want a crustier base, then bake it for a further 5 minutes on a higher STEAM BREAD setting of 190C to 200C, or on a BAKE setting, until you have the crust colour and crispness desired.
- Remove the bread and allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 to 45 minutes before slicing.
Traditional non-sourdough bread can also be cooked this way.
To prove the bread, select the PROVE setting at 35C for 50 minutes. Both sets of proving can be used on this setting.
With its wonderful aroma and delightful taste, this homemade sourdough bread made in the Ninja Foodi will surely become a favorite among your family and friends. Enjoy the satisfaction of baking your own delicious bread right in your kitchen!