If you’re a fan of Italian cuisine, you’re in for a treat with this recipe for Basil and Garlic Meatballs. Made with ground beef, fresh basil, garlic, and a variety of seasonings, these meatballs are full of flavor and will make a perfect addition to your dinner table.
Basil and Garlic Meatballs
Basil and Garlic Meatballs hold a special place in my heart as they are a recipe that has been passed down through my family for generations. I remember my grandmother making these meatballs for family gatherings and special occasions, and they were always a hit.
As I grew older and started to learn how to cook, I asked my grandmother for the recipe, and she shared it with me, along with her tips and tricks for making the perfect meatballs.
Basil and Garlic Meatballs Recipe
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
|Total Time||30 minutes|
- 2 1/2 lbs. of ground beef
- 1 head of garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup of fresh basil chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup of Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
- 2 slices of Artisan Italian bread, cubed (if you don’t have Artisan bread you may use 3 slices of white bread)
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed with your fingers
- 1 tsp. fennel seed, chopped
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Vegetable oil, for frying the meatballs
How to Make Basil and Garlic Meatballs
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the cubed bread and pour the 1/2 cup of milk over the bread to absorb.
- In a large bowl, add the chopped garlic, breadcrumbs, eggs, olive oil, seasonings, fresh chopped basil, and the fresh grated cheese.
- Add the soaked bread to the large bowl and toss.
- Add the ground beef to the large bowl and mix.
- Let the prepared meat rest for about 30 minutes before forming into meatballs. When you do form into meatballs, do not squeeze them tight or overwork the meatballs. They will become hard and dry!
- Heat a large cast-iron frying pan with about 1/2 inch of vegetable oil.
- Add a few meatballs at a time, DO NOT overcrowd your pan.
- Allow a nice crust to form on one side, then gently turn the meatballs to form a nice crust on all sides. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side. Do Not overcook your meatballs!
- Place the meatballs in your favorite tomato sauce and serve with fresh grated Romano cheese or Parmesan and a nice crusty bread for dipping.
Basil and Garlic Meatballs can be served with a variety of side dishes such as pasta, mashed potatoes, or even a simple side salad. These meatballs are also perfect for entertaining guests, as they can be prepared ahead of time and reheated just before serving.
When making the meatballs, be sure not to overwork the mixture as this can cause them to become hard and dry. Allow the mixture to rest for 30 minutes before forming into meatballs, and do not squeeze the meatballs too tightly when shaping them.
Additionally, it’s important not to overcrowd the frying pan when cooking the meatballs. This will prevent them from cooking evenly and developing a nice crust.
In conclusion, Basil and Garlic Meatballs are a delicious and comforting dish that can be enjoyed with your family and friends. This recipe is easy to follow and requires only a few ingredients that can be found in your kitchen. The combination of fresh basil and garlic adds a flavorful twist to traditional meatballs, and the addition of bread and milk creates a tender and moist texture. Whether you’re serving them as a main course or as an appetizer, these meatballs are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. So, try out this recipe today and impress your loved ones with a hearty and flavorful dish!