When I was growing up, my mom used to make this Low Carb Cheesy Cabbage Casserole all the time, especially during the winter months when we craved warm and comforting food. She used to say that it was her go-to recipe when she was short on time and didn’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
I remember the first time I tried this casserole, I was hesitant because I wasn’t a big fan of cabbage. But as soon as I took my first bite, I was hooked. The combination of the tender and flavorful cabbage with the spicy and cheesy ground beef was simply irresistible.
Years later, when I moved out on my own, I found myself making this recipe all the time. It’s easy to make, requires only a few ingredients, and it’s a healthy and low-carb dinner option. I’ve even made this casserole for my friends who are picky eaters, and they’ve all loved it.
Now, every time I make this Low Carb Cheesy Cabbage Casserole, it brings back memories of my childhood and my mom’s delicious home-cooked meals. It’s a recipe that will always have a special place in my heart, and I hope it becomes a staple in your home too.
Low Carb Cheesy Cabbage Casserole Recipe
If you’re looking for a quick, easy, and delicious low-carb dinner recipe, look no further than this Low Carb Cheesy Cabbage Casserole. This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights when you need to get dinner on the table quickly, and it’s sure to be a hit with the whole family.
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey, browned and drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 head of cabbage chopped into medium chunks (roughly 3 cups)
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chilies (undrained)
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar or colby jack is our favorite)
- In a medium-size skillet, brown your beef or turkey over medium heat, and drain off any excess grease.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chopped cabbage, tomatoes with green chili, tomato sauce, chili powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine.
- Cover the skillet with a lid, reduce heat to medium, and let it cook for 15-18 minutes, stirring occasionally until the cabbage is tender.
- Top the cabbage mixture with shredded cheese and let it melt. Once the cheese has melted, your Low Carb Cheesy Cabbage Casserole is ready to serve.
- If you’re not a fan of ground beef or turkey, you can substitute it with ground chicken, pork, or even tofu to make it vegetarian.
- To save time, you can buy pre-shredded cabbage from the store, but fresh cabbage is always best.
- You can use any type of cheese you like, but cheddar or colby jack give the casserole a delicious cheesy flavor.
- To make this recipe spicier, you can add more chili powder or hot sauce to your liking.
|Amount per Serving
|1 heaping cup