If you’re looking for a delicious and healthy casserole recipe that’s easy to make, then look no further than this Chicken & Broccoli Casserole. Packed with protein and veggies, this dish is perfect for those who are trying to watch their weight or simply want to eat healthier. Plus, it’s a great way to use up any leftover chicken or broccoli you might have in the fridge!
How to Prepare of Chicken & Broccoli Casserole
To start, preheat your oven to 350º F and spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Next, cook your broccoli in the microwave according to the package directions, and set it aside.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat, and add in 1 chopped small onion and 2 8-ounce packages of sliced mushrooms. Cook until the mushrooms are starting to get tender. Then, add in 2 cups of cubed boneless skinless chicken breasts and cook until the chicken is cooked through. If needed, drain the pan.
Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour over the chicken and mushroom mixture and stir constantly, cooking for one minute. Stir in 1 1/2 cups of fat-free milk, and bring it to a boil. Cook for 3 minutes or until the mixture is thick and bubbly.
Stir in the cooked broccoli and heat through for about 1 minute. Add in 1 5.3-ounce container of fat-free plain Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of light mayonnaise, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Stir lightly to combine all of the ingredients.
Pour the mixture into the prepared casserole dish, and sprinkle the top with 3/4 cup of Mexican style cheese blend. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly around the edges.
Once your Chicken & Broccoli Casserole is ready, let it cool for a few minutes before serving. This dish is perfect for a family dinner or even meal prep for the week. You can serve it with some brown rice or quinoa for a complete and satisfying meal.
Chicken & Broccoli Casserole Recipe
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
|Total Time||35 minutes|
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 8-oz pkgs. sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups uncooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free-milk
- 1 16-oz package steam-in-bag broccoli florets
- 1 5.3-oz container fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup Mexican style cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray 2-qt. casserole dish with cooking spray. Cook broccoli in microwave according to directions; set aside.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add onion and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are starting to get tender. Add cubed chicken. Cook until chicken is cooked through. Drain pan, if needed.
- Sprinkle flour over chicken & mushroom mixture and stir constantly, cooking for one minute. Stir in milk. Bring to a boil and cook for 3 minutes, or until thick and bubbly.
- Stir in cooked broccoli, and heat through about 1 minute. Add yogurt, mayo, salt and pepper, stirring lightly to combine.
- Pour into prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle top with cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese melts and it’s bubbly around the edges. Enjoy!!
This Chicken & Broccoli Casserole is an easy and healthy recipe that’s perfect for anyone who wants to watch their weight or simply eat more nutritious meals. It’s packed with protein and veggies, and it’s easy to make using ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge or pantry. Try it out for yourself and see just how delicious and satisfying healthy eating can be!